Top Image

Frequently asked questions about Block Management

How long does it take Canonbury to take over management of a building?

Once you are happy with the level of services and quote produced by our online quote calculator, Canonbury's systems can produce contracts to be signed online in just a few minutes.  Once these are completed, Canonbury is then under contract as your new manager and can usually have your block set up within 5 working days of taking over.  If there is a need for urgency, we can take blocks on in as little as 1 working day. 

What if there are services we want which are not shown on the quote calculator?

If you require a quote to include any other services which are not shown on our quote calculator, simply contact us and let us know your quote number and what the extra requirements are and we can add them to your quote and update our quote calculator for future customers.

Does Canonbury offer Service Level Agreements

Canonbury's unique approach to management means that we will always respond to your calls and emails promptly.  We log all calls and reported problems in an online log available for you to see and problems are usually resolved as soon as they can practicably be done, subject to funds being available.

Is Canonbury able to act as company Secretary or Director of our management company?

Yes.  Canonbury can act as company secretary and nominee directors if this is required.  We would also require that you change the registered office of the company to our offices so that we are made aware of any filing requirements.  We can file annual returns and accounts as required.

Does Canonbury offer emergency out of hours cover?

Yes.  Canonbury has a system whereby calls to our offices are monitored 24 hours a day by nominated personnel.  Clients simply need to mark their emails with the subject 'Emergency' or to state that it is an emergency in any voicemails left and these will be picked up and responded to promptly.  We also have arrangements with our insurance brokers to deal with emergencies which are covered by insurance and we can arrange for bespoke redirect numbers so you get through to the contractors who know about your block.

What happens if we have problem lessees who do not pay their bills?

It is normal in any block that there may be lessees who do not pay their bills in either the short or long term.  Depending on the number of lessees who fall into this category, we would advise that the service charge may have to be higher than our quote engine has specified, in order that we have sufficient funds available to provide services at the block.  In the longer term, everyone will pay the same amount though.  As money are received from those who are not paying, the client account balance will be greater and can then fund future reductions in service charges.  Canonbury can take full legal action to recover unpaid service charges, however, customers must be aware that at present, the recovery of legal costs is limited to £500 for each lessee.

What happens if there are no funds in our client account at present?

If there is a low level of funding in your client account at present, it may limit force any management company managing your block to have to set the frequency of payment of the service charge to a less frequeny payment basis, such as once per year or twice per year, so that funds can be collected to provide services.  If sufficiently high contingency and capital funding are built into the quote, it should be possible to increase the frequency of service charge payment and reduce the amount, in the second year of management.

What happens if there are arrears owing by lessees?

It is normal that at any point in time, some lessees may have arrears.  The previous management company usually passes on details of these arrears to us and these are added onto the lessees account for us to collect on behalf of your block.  Arrears cannot be written off because some people will have paid their bills and so it would not be equitable to write-off those arrears which have not yet been paid.  If there are disputes over elements of expenditure by the previous company, it would be down to individual lessees to dispute these with the management company and if not successful, they would have to take their claims to the First Tier Property Tribunal in order to have them determine whether there was any validity in what they say.

Can Canonbury deal with problems with the building left over from the Developers?

Yes.  Canonbury has considerable experience in liaising with developers on behalf of lessees to achieve a rapid solution to their problems.  Developers are usually very poor at resolving snagging issues and so by taking those off their hands and presenting them with an easy-to-pay single invoice, we are normally able to resolve these issues quite effectively.

Can we keep our existing contractors if we are happy with them?

Yes.  As long as contractors can comply with our terms and conditions for third party service providers then we can retain their services.

Any other questions?

If you have any other questions, please contact us.